Share

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Gluten-Free and Organic Eating

Last year I went through a bit of a health challenge that caused me to seek out the advice of a naturopathic doctor. I'm glad I did because through this consultation, it became imperative that I switch to organic foods, thus avoiding the consequences of ingesting genetically modified foods and pesticides which destroy intestinal health. For the past three or so months, I have become aware of how ever-increasing numbers people are unable to eat certain foods, due to severe allergic responses.

Happily, I noticed our local grocery stores have an expanding section of organic vegetables, prepared foods — and even meats, containing no antibiotics or growth hormones — which is happy news indeed. In order for me to take charge of my health, a growing awareness of the food monopoly pitfalls was an absolute necessity!

I am simplifying food preparation and finding easier recipes, all gluten-free. As I talk about eating healthy, more and more people are responding to me by saying, "My doctor told me to eat less bread." Or "My doctor advised me to go gluten-free."

Even the fact that regular practitioners are giving advice related to diet is a significant shift, when at an earlier time, they might have suggested a drug to cover up an undesirable symptom — or a cream to cover up an eczema outbreak (for example).

More importantly, once I opted for organics, food began to taste noticeably more delicious. The crisp is crispier, the tang is tangier, the range of taste is enhanced into a new dimension of experience!

Here is an example of a really tasty breakfast pancake, which is grain- and gluten-free. (I originally found it on the internet, but the link has since been blocked by Pinterest, saying the site has spam.) Anyway, I now have it memorized, so here is the recipe, without spam:

Grain- and Gluten-free Banana Pancakes

1/2 organic banana
1 organic egg
1 teaspoon organic Black Chia Seeds (optional — added by me, for fiber)
Pinch of sea salt

Yield: makes 4 small pancakes

Blend together in blender till smooth.

Fry in skillet for 5 minutes on each side on medium-low heat.

--------------------

Yes, believe it or not, that's it! So simple, it takes ten minutes in the morning to prepare and cook this lovely breakfast consisting of one protein and one starch. On weekends I have also doubled the recipe to share with my partner. I add a bit of butter at the table. I am not crazy about adding syrup, but my partner enhances his breakfast by adding some organic Maple Syrup.

So that's my meal. I use organic ingredients, to assure myself of continued excellent health. My naturopathic doctor says I need plenty of protein and he does not subscribe to the demonization of eggs, as do some doctors. Also, a scrambled egg goes great with this breakfast.

I have been eating gluten-free since 2005, but after going organic over the past three months I am enjoying food much more. As well, my energy has improved by leaps and bounds. I'm thrilled!

My understanding of what has transpired since the transition from gluten-free to organic is that while eating gluten-free foods, the fiber has now cleared out the bloating, resulting in a weight reduction of fifteen pounds. But more was needed. My body was asking for real food, clear of pesticides and genetically modified ingredients. As the years passed, my body asked me in a stronger way, by becoming ill, which in turn implored me yet again to search my way to wellness. The path led me to yet another level of healthy eating, which was the organic route. Again, my body released still another fifteen pounds, without any conscious effort on my part to reduce the weight.

And that's where I'm at now in my quest for excellent health!


Follow on Twitter: @_phoenixoffaith
Copyright © 2014.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Esther: Yes, we've been eating an increasing amount of organic food as well and certainly do notice an improved flavour and texture. Congrats on your weight loss! I'm hoping that the impending end of our very long winter will enable us to get outdoors and enjoy the world. We've been cooped up too long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Doreen, I believe that most people desire wellness and that desire prompts us to search out healthy choices, which leads us to organic food. I'm thrilled it is becoming more plentiful in the grocery stores. Next up is my quest for organic restaurants! ;)

    ReplyDelete